Monday 19 January 2009

Lemon curd 

This weekend I was going to make marmalade, I say was, as I never got to do it. I needed some muslin to hold the pips and pith in the brew whilst the oranges were cooking, but I didn't have any. I've got everything else, oranges, sugar, jars, wax seals, etc, etc. 
Anyway in lieu of marmalade I made lemon curd instead. It's a really easy thing to make - 
4 lemons (juice and zest), 4 eggs, 350 gram caster sugar, 100 gram butter and that's it. Melt sugar and butter, stirring continuously. Then gently cook for about 20 mins, (but not boiling) until thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon. Decant into sterilised jars. You have to cook it over a double boiler though and as it's all fresh and eggyfied it will only keep 3 months in the fridge or 1 month out of the fridge. This recipe makes about 1.5 lbs, so I got 3 small jars out of it. 
I may use it next weekend when I go to Mike's as we invited his daughter's family over for Sunday lunch - Nathalie, Anthony, Maisie and George. I may make the lemon ice cream (again!) which requires lemon curd. I have to say the Lemon curd does taste excellent, quite moreish.
I shall be making marmalade this week though - I have to, as I have so many oranges. Though I could freeze them (if there was even a smidgen of room in my freezer!).

No comments: